Do you know the history of the Port of Klaipeda? How is it related to the founding of the city of Klaipeda, and what were the most difficult stages the port had to overcome to become what it is today – a leader in the Baltic Sea region?
Klaipeda castle was built, the port was established next to it.
The inhabitants of Danzig, overloaded the port with stones, only small vessels could enter the port.
XIX – XX
Becomes the most famous timber trading port in the Baltics.
1924 – 1939
The beginning of shipping. A period of prosperity.
The first restored Sea Festival takes place.
The port has been granted the status of a state seaport.
The Port of Klaipėda back then
The Port of Klaipeda now
Highlights of the history of the port of Klaipeda
July 29, 1252
Curonian bishop and vice-regent of Livonian Order signed the agreement, that was approved by the ruler of Lithuania Mindaugas. Following this agreement Klaipeda castle was built. In the small port neighboring the castle, vessels of Lubeck and Bremen merchants used to moor.
In the middle of the 16th century
Klaipeda’s rivals, the inhabitants of Danzig, overloaded the Dane port with stones, therefore till 1820 only small vessels could enter the port.
The first timber trade office was founded in Klaipeda. Klaipeda port was the most famous timber trading port Baltic – wide.
The chronicle of 1797 mentions that Klaipeda port consists of: the Dane river port and a big water basin in the strait of the Curonian Lagoon. Timber was handled in the port, accommodating more than 300 vessels at a time.
When Germany lost the First World War, following Versal Agreement, Klaipeda port was transferred to Antante Alliance, and the Prime – Minister of France declared that “Klaipeda region has always been a Lithuanian one”.
June 27, 1923
A big meeting was held following the news that Klaipeda port was going to be transferred to Klaipeda town.
May 8, 1924 Klaipeda Convention was signed in Paris. Following this convention the management of Klaipeda port was passed to the port directorate, consisting of the representatives of the Lithuanian State, Klaipeda region and the Union of Nations.
Was a period when Klaipeda port was at its flourishing peak – new quays were constructed, various companies started to operate, Lithuanian Shipping Company was founded. The state of Lithuania invested 42 million litas into the development.
The first renewed Sea Festival took place. Today, the festival is becoming the most important Klaipeda’s mass event.
The new International Ferry Terminal was constructed. The Terminal was constructed for serving the Soviet Army, located in Germany. The biggest rail ferries in the world began their operations.
According to the Decree of the Government the Republic of Lithuania, the Ministry of Transport and Communications established State enterprise Lithuania Seaports Authority. Klaipeda Harbour Master’s Office, independent from Lithuania Seaports Authority was established.
Klaipeda Port was granted the status of the State Seaport.
According to the Decree of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania, State enterprise Lithuania Seaports Authority was renamed as State enterprise Klaipeda State Seaport Authority. Klaipeda Harbour Master’s Office and State enterprise Klaipeda State Seaport Authority were merged.
Klaipeda State Seaport Act was adopted, whereby the port land, port waters, quays, hydrotechnical installations, shipping routes and channels, and other infrastructural facilities were declared the property of the state and not subject to privatization. These objects are controlled and developed by State enterprise Klaipeda State Seaport Authority.
According to the Order of the Ministry of Transport and Communications, Maritime Safety Administration, an affiliate of Klaipeda State Seaport Authority was established.